Sunday, February 24, 2013

Velma, you SCARE me!!!!

                             "Velma Von Tussle!? WHAT AM I GOING TO DO??? What was the director possibly thinking when she cast me in THAT role??!! I'm not sexy, I'm not skinny, and I'm not mean! Plus, she is a full grown woman! How am I possibly going to pull that off? I act like a CHILD three quarters of the time!"
               Those were the dreadful words that enveloped my young, theater-geek brain when I discovered the inevitable: I was going to play Velma Von Tussle in Hairspray. Sure, I knew I could sing the role, but acting like her??!! HOW WAS THAT POSSIBLE???
                 Well, here I am today, two months in to rehearsals for the high school musical, and Velma really isn't that bad. I've really looked into the character, and she can be kinda fun to play! I believe everyone has some of her inside of them. It's just a matter of pulling out those manipulative ways from deep inside of you (some deeper than others). I have come up with a solution to my awkward ways: overplay her to the MAX. This is a character that in order to be pulled off by me has to be overacted! It's actually kinda fun. In my opinion, it's MUCH easier to overact than to try to make it realistic. Anyway, VELMA. She is obviously  a very strong woman. She somehow ended up owning a station in the 60's! Back then, it was VERY difficult for a woman to do that! But according to the original Broadway Cast lyrics, she didn't find her way there using the most honest ways:" A tycoon I wed so cuddly and funny! The old fart dropped dead but left tons of money. So I bought this station so all of the nation could see Baby amber and me!"  I have the strangest feeling that her husband didn't just "drop dead." That's just a sample of how EVIL she is!!!!!!  

                 Well Miss VELMA, here we go!!!!!!

Sydney

 

Read more: ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST - (THE LEGEND OF) MISS BALTIMORE CRABS LYRICS 

No comments:

Post a Comment